Not In Kansas Anymore...

Click your heels, and see if home is where you hang your hat, or somewhere else inside yourself as this simple, postmodern girl takes on L.A.

Monday, October 19, 2009

While most of the time I could say I definitely find songs that I resonate with or relate to either lyrically or emotively ( in the musical sense), it's not very often I find a song that speaks for me. But sometimes I get lucky.

I really loved this song when I heard it, because musically, it's interesting and compelling to listen to, and lyrically, it seemed to fit properly to the sound that the instrumentation was going with. (Yes, I realize that is the aspiration of any songwriter; it's just always surprising to me how many songs still don't hit the mark, or are uninventive in their attempts). It actually SOUNDS like a whine, a spin, and/or a stifled hurricane coming out, like the lyrics suggest.

Finally, when I really read the lyrics, I did have that feeling like, "Wow, this is what my soul would say right now if it could." Only occasionally do I feel like a writer was hiding in my closet, but this is definitely one of those cases.


It's bugging me, grating me
And twisting me around
Yeah I'm endlessly caving in
And turning inside out

'cause I want it now
I want it now
Give me your heart and your soul
And I'm breaking out
I'm breaking out
Last chance to lose control

It's holding me, morphing me
And forcing me to strive
To be endlessly cold within
And dreaming I'm alive
'cause I want it now
I want it now
Give me your heart and your soul
And I'm not breaking down
I'm breaking out
Last chance to lose control

And want you now
I want you now
I'll feel my heart implode
And I'm breaking out
Escaping now
Feeling my faith erode

(~Muse)

I'm not going to interpret it for you ( I will say as a caveat, though, that it's not in reference to anyone in particular; definitely not on that level, so forget about doing any interpersonal math. It's irrelevant.). I'm not sure I could explain it anyway- which is why it's so cool that this song did it for me; like an x-ray pointing out stuff even *I* didn't know was going on. Pretty amazing.
I'm just going to leave it there, and let it speak for itself. And for me. :)