Not In Kansas Anymore...

Click your heels, and see if home is where you hang your hat, or somewhere else inside yourself as this simple, postmodern girl takes on L.A.

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

She fired me.

And y'all knew she would. I figured she would. I spent the weekend updating my resume. And I was weighing it out today, dependent on how she acted, whether or not I was going to give my notice. I was going to give her 60 days, since Jan the 15th would have been the last day I was required under any sort of agreement or contract to be there. Plus that would have given me time to get things in order, and let her have someone through Christmas.

But she was pretty resolute today that things had just reached a head with her on Friday. And I agreed. I didn't argue. She said that she really appreciated all my organization and general assistant skills, but felt I was just too pissy and controlling to be a receptionist. ( Not her words, but the gist of things). I told her that the way she spoke to me was verbally abusive and inappropriate and that if she were looking for success in her spa, she needed to make some decisions about management. And she said she might keep me in mind to do creative things in the future.

Clearly, I'm in the wrong field. I never wanted to be a receptionist. It was a job I took many a time to keep money in the bank. But I'm obviously not cut out for it, even as nuts as she is. I am too controlling and too willfull. I have too much of a mind for things and opinions I can't keep to myself. She thinks I would be better off being in a creative field. Well, DUH. Honey, if I could make a living at it, don't you think I would be? Jesus.

I gotta rethink my game plan here. Either I gotta learn to deal with dysfunctional workplace situations ( and it seems like alot of those are around, according to all reports by friends and my recent experiences) or I gotta do something else that at least makes coping with it a little more worthwhile.

Meanwhile.....I'm off to the homestead for Thanksgiving. If I had waited a day I might have been able to arrive sooner ( since I bought the damned ticket yesterday based on this job). But maybe I'll just go look for holiday work. It's that time of year, and it's that time of hiring season. That should keep me busy for awhile. I don't know if I can pass as an elf at my age, but I'll do SOMETHING. Pass out samples of nog at Trader Joe's. Do holiday catering events as a waiter. Hell, I'll even do (groan) retail. Shit, it couldn't be worse than the holidays with T. At least I know what to expect with a new job, by the time the bloom is off the rose I'll be out of there, and it's temporary.

Still: Dammit. Dammit. DammIT.