Not In Kansas Anymore...

Click your heels, and see if home is where you hang your hat, or somewhere else inside yourself as this simple, postmodern girl takes on L.A.

Monday, March 13, 2006

I finally met with the rocker metal dude I'm supposed to sing backup for ( I'll call him Jeremy, since he looks like one, even though that's not even close to his actual name, but you should know better by now, dear reader....), and he's actually pretty cool! I can see why he wanted to do a solo project, because all the songs we worked on were so far away from anything his other band might do. They were very 80's influenced in my opinion, most of them. One of them was sort of Weezer-influenced, but that's still retro in a way. The other girl I'll be singing with, Jennifer, is cool, too. She's very creative and funny and easy to talk to. We were making up little riffs to sing along to Jeremy's stuff, and cracking up about whether we should do an "ooooh" or an "ahhhhh" or a "dooo dooo dooo" progression. These are important decisions, you know. ( A couple of times we flat out told him, "Dude, you need someone to sing those lyrics WITH you there," ( he was in falsetto) and he would just laugh and say "okay!"). I really thought that they would be far more pretentious than they actually were, given that this is LA and everyone here takes themselves so damned seriously because they're gonna make it, man!!! But they were very down to earth and friendly. Jeremy even emailed me today that he was really happy with the way things went last night. Go figure.

Things are still cool on the job front, so far. I'm getting the rhythm of things down, and I still like it alot. I think the office manager is still out on whether or not she likes me, but she's not mean or rude or unfair, so I can deal. Did I mention I'm the only white girl in there? The business is run by a Latino family, and those who are not related are also Latino. It doesn't bother me, but the cultural differences are amusing to note. All the women have kids and husbands and not only work all day but go home and take care of things there, too! They're like SuperWomen, in my book. They cook and clean and watch after the kids and then come and work their asses off at the job; it's totally acceptable for their husbands to work and just come home and expect all this. And they all cook like chefs. Always "oh, Jessica, you don't cook? Oh, but see, you can make this, and it's so easy, let me tell you...." I feel so embarassed that yes, I am too lazy to cook for just myself and no one else! And they're like, "you're not married? Do you want to be married? Do you want kids?" Whereas in my other job, NONE of the women had kids, and only ONE of them was married, (and you can be damned sure they didn't go home and fix dinner after work), so it was never even a question. I don't know where that racist stereotype of "lazy Mexicans" ever got started, because every single one I have met here works like crazy. Far harder than I ever do, that's for sure. Go figure, x2.