Not In Kansas Anymore...

Click your heels, and see if home is where you hang your hat, or somewhere else inside yourself as this simple, postmodern girl takes on L.A.

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

I have an interview over at the Norton Simon Museum tomorrow. Am I excited? A little. Should I be excited? I don't know. Given that Big Bookseller couldn't pay any less and is currently in the middle of a sales slump ( which means they start slashing hours like a drunk serial killer), the position I applied for in the Museum Store couldn't be any worse. It's 29 hours a week or so, which is excellent, but if they don't pay me more, the drive to Pasadena ( a good 30 minutes away) isn't going to pay for itself, nor make the damned difference between working there or working in the bookstore.

Except at the Norton Simon, there is no Dil. There is no stupid, stupid KIDS section and if I tell someone not to put their coffee cup on something, it's in an environment that could get them kicked out if they did it anyway. *Sigh* I always did like telling people not to touch stuff and don't lean against the wall, and IS THAT GUM?!?!?! when I worked at The Saint Louis Art Museum.

Then again, THERE I was a tour guide, a DOCENT (yes, look it up kids! New vocab word!), with security clearance and respect and shit. I even had a laminated name badge with my picture on it. (Now I still have a laminated name badge, but it doesn't have my picture on it. It has a picture of a cappuccino on it. Don't ask. ). And what fresh hell of a manager for the gift shop in a museum is there? Is he a frustrated painter, underpaid middle manager, social-climbing wannabe, or all of the above, or.....WORSE??

I guess I'll tell you all about it after I meet him tomorrow. Right now, I've got to go shave my legs for the occasion. Wish me well, cats and kits.......