Not In Kansas Anymore...

Click your heels, and see if home is where you hang your hat, or somewhere else inside yourself as this simple, postmodern girl takes on L.A.

Thursday, April 27, 2006

I got a job. Yes, small letters, no exclamation points. Not that I'm not happy about job; I am. I am quite happy about my new job. I only work three days a week ( Thurs, Fri, Sat) all day and then I'm off the rest of the time. I'm making more money than I did at The Spa, and from what it appears, doing less work. I just answer the phones. I take the money. I look up client records ( did I mention this was at a hair salon?) for what their color preferences are. That's it. That's all. And they dont take out taxes, which is great, since I will doubtfully make enough to have to file ( I never do, I just file anyway for the bonus) and I can keep all the money. Not sure of the perks yet ( free salon treatments? God, can you imagine? Lawdy, lawdy. ) and they'll be moving to a second location shortly, so my hours may decrease. But it's perfect for me, and I'm so FUCKING GRATEFUL right now, I could jump up and down.

But I won't....not yet.

I can't keep a job in this town to save my life, which is partially ( 30%) my fault for having the perennial 5-10-minutes-late problem, and partially the fault of LA employers ( 70%), who will fire anyone for anything because they know they'll get another one just like ya in a snap, the job market is so saturated. ( That reminds me of a funny Bill Cosby bit : his dad is yelling at him, telling him not give any lip because, " you know, I brought you into this world, I'll take you out, make another one just like ya. Makes no difference to me." It's very much like that, only more like, " you can go back home, you non-native. We don't need more of you here searching for your Big Moment, okay? If you don't like it, split. We need your parking space." Or as Jeannie so succintly put it, "Welcome to Hollywood. Now get the fuck out.") They want to work you like a dog and pay you like a migrant worker, and disabuse you of the notion that you have any personal integrity, and if you find this unappealing, then you're outta there. Hard to keep a good attitude going when that's the case, and I have a problem with authority (thanks Dad/ Catholiscism) I'm always fighting down anyway ( passive-aggressive tardiness, anyone? Eye rolling? Sighing audibly?) so it's not a good match, as history has shown.

Still, Viv, the girl that hired me, kept asking me if I had any conflicts coming up ("You're not planning on leaving the country for months at a time? Starting school? Anything like that?") because "we like to train people to stay with us forever." I told her I would like to stay forever. I hope that wasn't some legally binding verbal agreement, if they turn out to be Satan's Happy Hair Salon, but you know, some stability REALLLLLLY couldn't hurt about now. So, I'm hoping. Hoping. Hoping.

Tenatively. As that seems the wisest way to go with my job luck, and in my life as of late, all 'round. Keep the good vibes and prayers comin'.....