Not In Kansas Anymore...

Click your heels, and see if home is where you hang your hat, or somewhere else inside yourself as this simple, postmodern girl takes on L.A.

Friday, January 04, 2008

I got my final Amazon package today from R ( he sent me 4 packages from my wish list, which was very nice. I had a nice Christmas overall, because for some reason my mom and dad have had a massive personality overhaul and are sending gift certificates, money, and ordering things I specifically asked for, plus friends have been very kind and generous despite the Scrooge I can sometimes be, so I was very grateful.), and so that was a nice surprise.

And my brother's gift got here ( it was delayed), so Christmas is officially over. Hooray. !!!

And I got a job. I start on Monday. I'm a receptionist at a massage spa. There's a manager. And an assistant manager. And I do not have to do the following usual spa things like:

  • *laundry
    *fold towels
    *clean rooms
    *stock products
    *run the sauna
    *see people naked
    *make scented towels/arrange flowers/deal with aromatherapy
    *take out the trash
    *run around like a chicken with my head cut off while doing that and answering the phone
    *do the books/budget
    *keep track of supplies
    *shop for the spa
    *listen to the owner bitch about my inability to save her more money

I just answer the phone. And I take the money. And I help clients. And THAT'S IT. I took a small pay cut ($1) for a bit to have this privilige, but it's worth it to me because:

*at 20 hours a week, I am eligible for health insurance and a 401k
*after 30 days receptionists are paid a portion (commission) of the overall days sales NO MATTER what shift they work on
* paid parking
*free massage once a month and 40% off all other spa services
*located right next to a grocery store for quickie errands after work
* about 15mins away from home on a good day, mostly side streets
*three days a week, 9-3, and I don't have to be perky unless I'm in front of clients ( boss was very clear on that!)
*I can have another job on the weekends if I need to, or take a class if I want
*a boss who understands about my ongoing dental issues (I was upfront about that)
*a boss who isn't going to call me at home to ask about her personal problems
*a boss who isn't going to harrass me at work about MY personal issues
*a boss who doesn't care that I have a life outside of work ( I brought up all three of those)


Lastly, I just need a damned income right now so even if it's Dante's Inferno, I don't care for a few months!
Unless there's something I'm missing, I'm willing to let $1 an hour go for those things.


That's all the news that is the news...in this area. In the "I'm Not A Cop But I Play One on TV" Department, I found the guys addy, AND his secondary business addy ( he owns a small boutique in the area with this wife) so NOW I just have to track him down and have someone serve him the damned papers. I was doing the math the other day and if he just shells out the amount I'm claiming in the suit ($3000- that's including my trip to the emergency room that the insurance already paid for and lost wages- I didn't work untill March because I couldn't go back to floral + the $6oosomething for the chiropractor that is UNpaid), I'll have enough left for my crowns ( $2500 or so- 5 crowns x $500 apiece= $2500). I'm hoping that pans out. Plus I get the schaedenfruede of turning him into the LA County Sheriff's office for fraud and telling the judge about it. He'll likely get a slap on the wrist since there's no proof ( although Lynnie was in the car as a witness) but I don't care. It's out there, and he'll likely not try it again, AND it gets brought up at trial. Nanny nanny boo boo.

And it's finally raining here and supposed to rain in a substantial way for the next three days. I may be the only one in Southern California rejoicing that fact, but the rest of them will be come summertime and less of everything is on fire than usual.

Happy New Year!