Not In Kansas Anymore...

Click your heels, and see if home is where you hang your hat, or somewhere else inside yourself as this simple, postmodern girl takes on L.A.

Sunday, February 17, 2008

All men in LA are short. I have never seen so many men on under 5'8" in my life. I'm speaking purely from looking at the personals. I have never been one to really check the "stats" of someone- why do I care how much they weigh or how tall they are? I realize now that it's because at 5'8" I've always been slightly shorter than the men I've dated, purely by chance. That N guy? Has his height listed as 5'10". HA! I was wearing 2" heels and stood 2" above his head, which means he was actually my height exactly if I were in stocking feet.

I've never thought it mattered, per se, and I've never thought of myself as that shallow that I would exclude someone because of their height, of all things. But as my friend R says, personals can be like a catalog: you peruse and choose like you're picking out a duvet cover. "Oh, wrong size? Nah. I'll move on." If I met some man in real life and he was an absolute darling of a keeper and 5'6", would I ditch him? NO WAY! But I gotta say, I'm now checking to see how tall they list themselves. I suppose I'm becoming Duvet Cover Shallow.....

IN the end though, chemistry is this kind of thing that isn't fair or makes much sense. I like men who are taller than me, or can look me in the eye at least. I'm not so fussy that I'm looking for some dashing tall George Clooney ( although I sure as shit wouldn't pass it up!) and nothing at all, but he's either gotta be okay with my wearing heels and being taller than him or actually having the height. I have no idea why this is an attraction point for me, but there it is.

But back to my main point: when I lived in STL, there was never a time when I even THOUGHT about this sort of thing, as all my experiences negated it's need. But it seems like short guys ( I'm talking about 5'8" and under) are all living in LA. And when you think about it, alot of male celebrities are not very tall, even though they might have the charisma to compensate. Tom Cruise- 5'6". Toby Maguire- 5' 6"(- and he's Spiderman, for chrissakes!). Kirk Douglas is barely 5'5". And the list goes on. It makes one wonder what the deal is, like some sort of need to stand tall with their accomplishments? Or perhaps I'm just full of crap.

At any rate, it appears that I'm living in Short Guy Mecca, and I'm a Tall Girl Who Likes To Wear Heels. We'll see how that pans out. I'm hoping in the end it doesn't matter, or I overcome it, one of the two.

Good gravy. The stupid things you think about when you're trying to get a date. It really is ridiculous.