Not In Kansas Anymore...

Click your heels, and see if home is where you hang your hat, or somewhere else inside yourself as this simple, postmodern girl takes on L.A.

Thursday, February 07, 2008

3 Things That Irk Me Right Now:



1.) People at work who come to work sick.


I am now the proud owner of a cold of my very own. Why? Because people at work are sick and come to work. I will now have to go to work sick, and thusly put more people at risk. Everyone just shrugs at it because it's inevitable, things are "making the rounds", and so on. It makes me kinda mad. I'm not mad at people who come to work sick so much as I am mad that they HAVE to, because of there are no sick days offered.


Why, when you work in a SPA and are a professional involved in TOUCHING people for a living, shouldn't you have sick days? (A better question would be why doesn't every employer have sick days, but that rolls into politics, economy and all the rest of it, and that's a long conversation. A valid conversation though: isn't a loss in productivity when you have to hustle up someone to cover a shift when they call in last minute, when if they could take a day or two off without the guilt, such things could be planned a little better? Isn't a loss in productivity to have half your staff out with the same illness? Or your staff working at half-productivity because they feel like crap? Anyway). I happen to think my employer is one of the fairest around, ( he offers medical benefits at 20 hrs a week) and is quite savvy and smart. But as I understand it, they aren't offered sick days. They don't work, they don't make any money. But shouldn't he kick them out if they're really ill? It just doesn't make sense.


ACGHGH.





2.) This whole Britney situation.


I gotta say, I've never seen such an egregious use of the law before, since the BRILLIANT court of Los Angeles has decided holding her against her will at UCLA Neuropsych Institute ( where I once was under care, thank you) is unneccessary. Having a mental illness myself and being a firm believer in patient rights, I know the system inside and out, and even so, I believe something went terribly awry here. It's always hard to hold someone against their will, but it's pretty uncommon for someone to get released after barely a week when someone else has conservetorship. I can't believe the court-appointed advocate met with her docs and her and walked away saying, "she'll be okay. Let her out. "


I doubt it has anything to do with celebrity; I'd be more ready to say it has more to do with some sort of craptastic decision making by the courts. I'm not sure that her early release makes her dad's conservetorship ability to control her finances, etc. null and void, ( which he could try and use as a lever to get her more help if he were smart) but he cant drag her sorry little ass back to the hospital, that's for sure.


I am totally disgusted by this turn of events, and just had to say, for the record: that girl is going to end up in the hospital one way or another, whether it's in a body bag or because she gets picked up for disorderly behavior/suicide attempt/holding her kid hostage again. She's not well. NOT well. And this sort of thing doesn't end on it's own, all by itself, EVER. I think it's going to be bad. I'm not a gambling person, but I really, really think it's going to be big-time bad, like people-will-be-playing-her-songs-in-a-vigil bad.


It's so upsetting. I'm not a big Britney fan per se ( although I certainly want her to get well), but just watching it all go down for as long as it has and seeing family and doctors rendered powerless and a looming conclusion is awful. I've seen it up close often enough; writ large on a tabloid scale is too much. Too much.



3.) Cell phone, where for art thou?


I'm not one of those people married to my cell phone. I don't use it with such great regularity that I feel like I'm missing a limb when I don't have it with me. I do use it often enough, though, to feel a little strange when I don't have access to it. Right now, I can't seem to recall where, exactly, it is.



I put it down when I came in the door two nights ago, and when I went back for it, it was gone. I looked around the general area, and nothing. What's even worse is that I can't CALL it from the landline to track it down by sound, either. Firstly, because my service is temporarily suspended til I can pay the bill, so it won't ring, and secondly, because even if it could ring, it WOULDN'T, because the battery was running low, and is probably dead by now.



*Sigh* Such a stupid connundrum. !*#$%*!!



_______________________________________________



That's all for now. I'm sure I'll be back with more irritants to list as soon as I feel better enough to type, or I get tired of daytime tv. That's just the way things have been going lately. What. The hell. Ever.